Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Measure of Growth

How many of us have stood in a doorway of a loved ones home and had a pencil mark drawn on the wall? When we go to the doctor the first thing they do is weigh and measure us. Look at the trees and plants we have in our yards. We can see their growth, measure it even.

So how do we measure our spiritual growth? We should use the Word as our measuring stick. Are we doing what it says and not just reading it? (Thank you James) Do we question it more than before? Do we trust it more than before? Before what? Where do we start? Where do we stop? How often should we track our progress? Should we even bother or just go about our business and let God sort it out in the end?

My take is this: I question the Bible less now than I did 3 years ago. I felt that I needed to dissect every single verse and parables to extract the deep dark message hidden there. I don't feel that need any longer. Don't get me wrong, I love studying the Word. Each and every time I read scripture I see something that wasn't there the last. It's like when you watch a movie and the second time you see things you missed but the movie is still the same. The more you watch it the more you notice and the more you love it. I love the fact that my Daddy wrote me a love letter thousands of years ago and it speaks to me differently everyday. That is a love letter I would never want to live without. But more than that I guess is the whole question of creation and other such unbelievable things in the Bible. This isn't scientifically possible. That isn't physically possible. This and that could never have happened, there is no explanation. No explanation other than God. My God can do anything he wants!!! He is the Boss of me and you and everyone (whether they want to admit it or not). I don't have to have a scientific explanation of where dinosaurs fit in the picture. God did what he did in the time frame he wanted to do it and here we are to worship! How did Jesus withstand all that physical torture, carry the cross (whole or top beam, whatever), and hang on the cross for 6 grueling hours? He is God. He does what he wants. Here we are to worship!

So, I guess the bottom line for that is this: You ask me how I know the Bible is true. The Bible is true because it is the Word of God. He breathed everything into motion. Now, yes, there are tons of ways to show how the Bible is true, but I only need the one.

Moving on, before what: before I realized God loved me more than life, before I have my sins washed away and forgotten, before I truly was alive.

Where do we start? Today! Am I striving harder than yesterday to seek His face?

Where do we stop? We don't, EVER!

How often? Every second of every day!

Should we bother? Well God will sort everything out in the end, true. But do we want to seek His guidance and do a heart check so that we can stay the course? I know I do! If He didn't want us to check ourselves (before we wrc-wrcty-wreck ourselves) He wouldn't have given us the instruction book, yes?

I suppose my point in all of this is that I am thankful that I have a Father that loves me enough to show me ways I have grown (positive reinforcement, if you will. Not if you won't). He is allowing me to see in tiny ways how evident he is in my life and what obedience looks like.

My prayer is that I continue on this path. That the Father be glorified in everything I do. As Bryan Adams sang, "everything I do, I do it for you." (sorry I'm cheesy)

No comments:

Post a Comment