Friday, May 14, 2010

love-affectionate concern for the well-being of others

A friend told a story last night about a young lady. A 15 year-old who left her home and walked to the interstate over-pass and jumped onto the interstate below. Why, you ask? She was sad because her sister died 2 years ago and she didn't have any friends and kids at school made fun of her for being overweight. How does this kind of thing happen? Who is responsible? What could have been done to prevent this tragedy? How can it be prevented in the future? These are all valid questions.

First, I would like to ask, who has ever felt like a situation is hopeless? I know I have. There are many times in my life when I was dissatisfied with aspects of my life. Whether it was my appearance, my level of popularity, my money situation, etc. I can look back now and I know that the real issue was the lack of Christ in my life. I can look at those same aspects of life now and though I may not be satisfied in them, I know that I am in HIM! All of the other things in my life are inconsequential to my relationship with my Savior. With God in my life there is always hope for me (us).

Did this young girl have a relationship with Christ? Did anyone in her school show her the hope they had inside them? Someone obviously showed her something but I guess it was not hope. Did she get help for dealing with the death of her sister? It's difficult in a family sometimes to see past your own pain to help another loved one. Was there not a teacher that noticed and tried to spend a little extra time with her?

When someone is lost in a fog of depression it is extremely difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe the kids at school that were "goofing" on her thought it was harmless fun. Maybe they didn't realize all the other stuff she had going on in her head. Maybe they did. Maybe they have a lack of Christ in their lives. That in and of itself lends to undesirable behavior. I have seen and heard people say and do things that are so mean spirited. I try to stop them or stand up for the other person but not always. What keeps me from doing it 100% of the time? Fear (that's for Ron) is the only answer. I don't want someone to call me a goody-goody or a kiss up. Or maybe I don't want to get involved because it isn't my business. But isn't it? When we make a commitment to our heavenly Father we say we accept all others as brothers and sisters. Does that not make it our business?

So who is responsible? That is not a question that can be answered. My prayer is that in this tragedy God receives all the glory and honor and praise. How can that happen? I cannot answer that question either. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Can this sort of thing be prevented? Yes, we can do as Christ called us to do and love one another as He has loved us. When we see someone who is hurting we should pour out more love on them. Even if it is just you, that is the face of Christ for that person that day. Only we can change things by starting a change within ourselves. By allowing God to shape us and mold us into the likeness of Christ we can prevent young people from feeling that life is a hopeless mess. Christ through us can save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment